Redruth 2nd XV
Sat 30 Mar 2024  ·  Counties 2 Tribute Cornwall
Redruth Rugby Football Club
Redruth 2nd XV
Tries: B Smith, L Wills, H Eddy (3), C Levick (4), D Wills, J Hambly, J ChappleConversions: D Wills (7)
St Just
Redruth 2nds  74 v 0  St.Just

Redruth 2nds 74 v 0 St.Just

Alan Nettle30 Mar - 20:14
Share via

League champions end the season in style.

In beautiful sunshine a crowd of over 200 were delighted to see the Reds turn on the style yet again to run in 12 tries against a very game and sporting St.Just side. The Reds looked to move the ball whenever possible with the backs scoring 10 of the tries and with 7 of these coming from the two flying wingers.

Redruth kicked off playing towards Hellfire Corner and against a moderate breeze. The pitch once again was looking in fine fettle despite vast amount of rain and rugby it has had to endure this season.
It was St.Just who were almost first on the scoresheet, a great attack from half-way split the Reds apart and had the final pass gone to a St.Just player rather than a Redruth hand the try would have been theirs. Redruth were stung into action and Mike Allen made great ground through the middle taking play deep into St.Just territory, after going through the phases flanker Ben Smith went over in Hellfire Corner for an unconverted try. It was a feature of the match that most of the tries were scored wide out making life difficult for kicker Dean Wills. The Reds made a hash of the kick-off allowing it to run into touch 5 yards from their own line. Despite this they scored soon after, from a scrum on half-way they spread the ball back and forth across the pitch finally ending with Lewis Wills going over for a try converted by his brother Dean. The next score came following a scrum just in the visitors half, the move was ended when the Reds knocked on just short of the line. St.Just kicked long out of defence and into the Reds half but the Reds ran the ball straight back and Henry Eddy went over in Hellfire Corner for a try well converted from the touchline. The Reds were soon back on the attack but were met with a strong St.Just defence who time and time again knocked the Reds back, the dam was finally breached but in the act of scoring the Reds dropped the ball over the line. But the respite was short, St.Just kicked long into the Reds half but Charlie Levick went on a mazy unstoppable run and touched down under the post for another 7 points and the bonus point try. St.Just now had some time in the Reds half but were unable to threaten the line. A Redruth scrum in the visitors 22 saw the Reds attack down the blind side and quick hands put in Levick for his second of the afternoon and put the Reds 31 points to the good. There was just time for the Reds to add another before the break, from a scrum on half-way the Reds went through the phases, Levick made good ground down the left wing and then Dean Wills showed good footwork to go over the line for his 19th try of the season but more importantly to take him over the milestone of 300 league points in the season. Wills converted his own try to send the Reds in for the break 38-0 ahead.
Half-Time: Redruth 74-0 St.Just

The Reds started the 2nd period with a bang and ran in two quick tries. An Adam Hall kick deep into the St.Just 22 was cleared upfield but the Reds ran the ball straight back and after a few phases hooker Jarrod Hambly went over. St.Just now looked to hit back and had a number of phases in the Reds 22 but a long pass out to the right wing was picked off by Levick who went the length of the field for an interception try which was converted to take the Reds over the half-century. After a period of mid-field action a Redruth penalty was kicked into the St.Just 22, from the line-out the Reds went through the phases and the score came from a long cross-field kick from Dean Wills to the corner where Levick 'leaping like a salmon' plucked the ball out of the air for an excellent score. A 50:22 by Dean Wills got the Reds back into the 22 and from there some good quick passing put Eddy in at the scoreboard corner for a well finished try. Not much later Eddy completed his hat-trick pouncing on a well placed grubber kick by Hall deep into the dead-ball area. From a scrum in the mid-field the Reds went down the blindside and some good inter-passing ended with Jacob Chapple going over for the final try to bring up 74 points for the Reds. Despite being down they were certainly not out and St.Just saw out the last 10 mins or so without conceding further.

This has been a fantastic season for the Redruth 2nd XV and they have deservedly won the league. They won all 22 of their matches, earning 109 out of a possible 110 points, scoring 1107 points with a points difference of 913. Next season will prove another challenge as they move into Counties 1 Tribute Western West and take on teams from Devon and Cornwall such as Penryn, St.Ives, Bideford and Kingsbridge. This is a challenge they are relishing and one that will bring good quality rugby to the Recreation Ground every Saturday.

Tries: Smith, L.Wills, Eddy (3), Levick (4), D.Wills, Hambly, Chapple.
Conv: D.Wills (7).

Referee: Nick Croker